Job Summary/Basic Function
At Maryville University, we power dreams-not just degrees. Our vision is to be the innovative leader in higher education promoting a revolution in student learning that expands access and opportunities for all.
Maryville University is searching for an energetic and passionate tenure-track Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Computer Science to join the College of Arts & Sciences in Spring or Fall 2023. We seek educators who think innovatively, build competence in technology, and use engaging pedagogy to help our students deepen their learning and broaden their perspectives. The candidate must be committed to fostering a positive, culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students. Applicants must hold a master’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field (PhD preferred).
The Department of Computer Science at Maryville University offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science in both online and traditional in-person formats. The BS in Computer Science program includes specializations in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Cyber Security, Software Development, User Experience, and Blockchain. The department is also launching a Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence degree in Fall 2022.
The Computer Science program is young, but rapidly growing. This is a great opportunity for a passionate faculty member to contribute to the development of an exciting, innovative, and rapidly growing program!
Responsibilities for all faculty members:
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course contract, employing a variety of pedagogical styles to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
- Develop innovative pedagogical strategies, including the use of technology, to deliver course content in a meaningful and engaging manner.
- Work closely with the instructional design team to develop and deliver online course content.
- Foster a teaching-learning environment that values and supports the diversity of students’ ideas, opinions, and backgrounds and prepares them for success in a culturally diverse work force.
- Work collaboratively with appropriate faculty to review and develop curriculum.
- Ensure that program learning outcomes and course outcomes are assessed for continuous improvement
- Work closely with advisees and Life Coaches to facilitate students’ academic and personal success.
- Propose and work toward a productive research/scholarship agenda consonant with the demands of a teaching-focused institution.
- Serve on School and University committees as needed.
- Facilitate an Advisory Council to provide feedback and review of the computer science program.
- Foster mutually beneficial relationships with professionals to build internship and career opportunities and cutting-edge, market-relevant curriculum.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Student centered approach and passion for teaching and mentoring a diverse student population.
- Strong commitment to service students, department, university, and profession.
- PhD degree in Computer Science or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Background in Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, or Data Science.
- Experience with cloud computing.
- Experience in online teaching and online course development.
- Experience with higher education curriculum development.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Teaching philosophy, letter of professional interest indicating area(s) of focus and approach to meeting the responsibilities outlined above for the chosen position, curriculum vitae, and 3-5 professional references must be attached to complete the application process.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.