Job descriptionJob Description
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
For the health and safety of the workforce, Crowell & Moring LLP is requiring that all prospective employees present proof that they are fully-vaccinated and—if eligible—boosted against COVID-19, or seek a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons, prior to their first day of employment. Prospective employees who are fully-vaccinated but not yet eligible for a booster shot will be required to obtain a booster within one week of eligibility as a condition of continued employment. “Crowell & Moring LLP is an equal opportunity employer. Crowell & Moring LLP will engage in the interactive process with candidates who are unable to be vaccinated and/or boosted due to a sincerely held religious belief or medical reasons and explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Crowell & Moring is able to offer.”
The Billing Coordinator performs and manages complex billing arrangements for assigned attorneys or specific clients. The Coordinator ensures that alternative fee arrangements (AFAs) assigned are billed in agreement with client engagement letters and billing attorneys are provided requisite billing analysis.
- Ensures complex client invoices are prepared in compliance with firm policy, specific AFAs, and client billing guidelines and regulations. Identifies billing issues and resolves as appropriate.
- Prepares standard and ad hoc reports utilizing Excel, Elite, and other reporting tools to keep involved parties up-to-date regarding billing aspects of assigned contracts. Prepares monthly reconciliation of all accounts.
- Analyzes unbilled and receivables monthly and ensures timely resolution of outstanding amounts. Reviews and audits invoices for accuracy, and posts and mails final invoices prepared by billing attorneys
- Provides quality client services to both in-house and external contacts, developing close professional working relationships that reflect the firm’s commitment to excellence. Involves clarification and refinement of invoice processes and individual invoices, resolution of discrepancies, system issues, and other problems. Updates client information in the Elite master billing files, and researches and responds to inquiries relating to client charges.
- Performs “transfer” and “divide” functions, and balances and reprints proformas at billing attorney’s request.
- Assists the Ebilling Coordinator with the initial set-up and subsequent maintenance of electronic invoicing with third party vendors for assigned clients. Serves as liaison between e-billing vendors, attorney, and client contacts regarding new timekeepers, matters, and billing rates.
- Submits electronic invoices, and monitors and tracks progress from billing to prepare monthly reconciliation of all electronically billed accounts.
- Follows up with billing attorneys who manage matters with noncurrent unbilled time and costs in accordance with the firm’s billing policy.
- Documents billing process and updates documentation for procedures related to special client billing arrangements.
- Assists professional staff and attorneys with the firm’s billing procedures using Elite accounting software. Performs ad hoc analysis and research as requested.
- Participates in special projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of Elite or similar accounting system with the ability to instruct others in its use.
- Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of major eBilling vendors such as CounselLink, Tymetrix 360, and Legal Tracker (Serengeti), with the ability to research and resolve eBilling issues.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to perform work that is non-standard, requiring analysis, interpretation, and creative problem solving within an accounting environment.
- Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of MS Excel to produce quality reports and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare analysis of complex issues and information.
- Knowledge of standard accounting and finance principles, including the ability to track, organize, analyze, reconcile, and report financial data in an accurate and clear manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts regarding financial matters of a complex nature. Requires creativity, patience, and discretion.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of three (3) years of billing/accounting experience in a law firm or professional services firm.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.