About KIPP TEAM & Family
KIPP TEAM & Family is our network office that includes support teams - such as Leadership Development, Recruitment, Advocacy, Facilities, Finance, HR and more - dedicated to empowering our schools and ensuring the success of KIPP students throughout New Jersey and Miami. Our schools are part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students for success in college and in life. The first KIPP New Jersey school opened in Newark in 2002 and since then our school network has expanded to educate 7,035 students in grades K-12. By 2025, KIPP New Jersey will have fifteen schools in Newark and five in Camden providing a world-class education to over 10,300 students. Founded in 2018, KIPP Miami operates four nonprofit charter schools in Greater Miami’s Urban Core communities providing a world-class education for students in grades K-8. To learn more, visit www.kippnj.org
The NJ ER/HR Manager will provide high touch delivery of human resource services to our KIPP New Jersey workforce in Camden and Newark which includes both instructional and non-instructional staff. This role manages a broad scope of human resource responsibilities, including but not limited to, the management of employee relations issues for staff at school, regional and CMO level, partnering with the Human Resource Operations team on the onboarding of new hires, benefits, compensation and self-service tools, performance management support, teaching certification support, leave management, reasonable accommodation requests, workplace investigations as well as the development of policies and processes to eliminate obstacles so that we are providing our staff with the tools and support they need so that they can focus on the classroom and provide a world class education to our kids so that they have the opportunity to live choice filled lives.
This position is primarily remote - in person work is generally expected one day a week.
Employee Relations Support
- Conduct Employee Relations investigations including gathering and analyzing facts, applying relevant laws, policies and past practice to reach conclusions and present findings for further action and proposed remediation.
- Prepare investigation summary reports, track investigations in case management systems, and draft proposed disciplinary documentation as needed.
- Consult with managers and leadership teams to provide guidance to address specific employee performance concerns, including performance improvement plans and involuntary terminations processes and practices.
- Guide and train managers in overall performance management concepts in alignment with the organization’s philosophy, practices, and processes.
- Provide guidance and counsel on the annual contract renewal process.
- Ensure effective communication with stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to management and leadership teams in navigating various employee and labor relations related issues to minimize potential employment related risk and liabilities.
- Partner with relevant stakeholders to develop, conduct and facilitate a variety of Employee Relations trainings such as Performance Development and Evaluations, Management Essentials, Anti-Harassment/Discrimination and Workplace Behaviors.
- Ensure compliance with applicable State and Federal employment and labor laws and related wage and hour regulations.
- Create broad partnerships among school based, regional and CMO teams to develop and implement practices that reflect consistent, fair and aligned approach.
- Collaborates cross-functionally across school based, regional and CMO teams to solve for complex employee relations issues.
- Provide support to school based, regional and CMO teams on leave management, reasonable accommodations, discipline issues, compensation and benefits.
- Partner with school based operations team on teacher certification requirements.
Data and Analytics
- Apply expertise in data analysis and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and help inform, influence, support, and execute our talent decisions.
- Investigate ways to measure and visualize existing processes for greater efficiencies.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects that require inputs from cross-functional stakeholders while balancing impact on needs of organization.
- Leverage tools, such as Zendesk and Wiki to drive analytics and enable staff to utilize self-service support on routine inquiries.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above essential duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Progressive Human Resources experience.
- PHR or SHRM CP Certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR management, policies, best practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal employment laws.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HRIS system(s)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficient in Excel and Google Docs.
- Ability to adapt to the dynamic needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple assignments at once.
- Ability to travel to school locations to meet with staff as needed.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information with absolute confidentiality and professionalism.
- This job requires the individual to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent a legally required accommodation, pursuant to a New Jersey Executive Order and federal and state guidance.
Compensation & Benefits
KIPP New Jersey | Miami offers a full comprehensive benefits plan, including health care, competitive 403(B) plan, an optional subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, and a school laptop.
KIPP New Jersey | KIPP Miami is an equal opportunity employer