Grounds Maintenance Laborer
This position is located in Fort Meade, Maryland.
The core working hours are 6:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday-Friday (October thru March).
(5:00 am-2:00 pm, June thru September).
The hourly wage is $21.81.
This is a non-exempt position. Employees are eligible for overtime pay.
This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, and employer-paid contribution to health care coverage.
This position is set aside for a person with a disability. Documented proof of disability is required prior to the interview. Proof of disability is a written report signed by a licensed physician, psychiatrist, or qualified psychologist, reflecting the nature and extent of the disability or disabilities that cause such a person to qualify as a person with a severe disability.
This position requires that the employee must successfully complete criminal history information background check and drug screening and be able to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
The Grounds Maintenance Laborer maintains grounds of industrial, commercial, or public property such as buildings, camp and picnic grounds, parks, playgrounds, greenhouses, and athletic fields, and repairs structures and equipment. The Grounds Laborer is responsible for maintaining attractive grounds area/s; protecting against erosion; maintaining grounds for assemblies and/or recreational, and ensuring assignments are completed in a safe, proper, and timely manner.
- 1. Performs general grounds labor using walking-type or riding mowers (less than 2000 lbs.), trim hedges and edges around walks, flowerbeds, and wells, using hedge trimmers, clippers and edging tools, prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth, using shears and other hand tools, sprays lawn, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer or insecticide.
- 2. Plants grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs, watering lawn and shrubs during dry periods, using a hose or activating sprinkler system, picks up and burns or carts away leaves, paper or other litter; removing snow from walks, driveways, roads, or parking lots, using shovel and snow blower, spreads salt on walkways and other areas, repairing and painting fences, gates, benches, tables, guardrails, and outbuildings.
3. Assists in the repair of roads, walks, buildings, and mechanical equipment, and may clean comfort stations, offices workshop areas, and parking lots by sweeping, washing, mopping, and polishing.
- 4. Cleans landscaped areas and related items (e.g., storm drains, litter, etc.) for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing hazards.
5. Performs work at heights of up to 12 feet using an extension ladder, hydraulic lift, or scaffolding for the purpose of completing projects at heights not able to be reached when standing on the ground.
- 6. Responds to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns (e.g., downed trees, limbs, fences, etc.).
- 7. Maintains tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring the availability of equipment in safe, operating conditions. Transports various items (e.g., tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at the job site.
8. Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Essential Functions
WORKING CONDITIONS Mainly work outside. Working conditions are subject to extreme temperature and weather conditions. Work conditions may be inconvenienced by dust, dirt, fumes, or flying objects (grass).
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS The incumbent must be able to stand 33%, walk 33% and sit 33% of the work time. These requirements are necessary to operate riding mowers to cut and trim grass, plant vegetation, rake, shovel, etc. He/she must be able to lift/carry 60 pounds and push/pull 100 pounds, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, and handle, in order to load and unload materials and equipment; must be able to alert oneself to safety hazards and have a method of communication so those around can understand and respond; must be able to see and tell colors, as driving and operating power equipment is required.
QUALIFICATIONS At least one year of experience in Landscape maintenance work including experience in mowing with a push mower and weeding. Should be able to provide own transportation to work site. Must be able to work independently. Melwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. Pre-employment background checks, including E-Verify, are required for all employment positions. Melwood has an Affirmative Action Plan in place. Given the high volume of responses to posted job vacancies, Melwood sends system-generated emails to applicants to provide the status of applications. No phone calls, please. EEO/AAP