The Official Scorer makes and announces all game decisions involving judgment calls based on Rule 9 of the Official Baseball Rules, clarifying scoring rules interpretation to club and media personnel when necessary. Approves the official game report transmitted to MLB's Official Statistician (Elias Sports Bureau) post-game.
We are accepting applications for all markets, but are actively recruiting for the following:
- Miami Marlins (Miami, FL)
- Arrive at the ballpark no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Collect rosters and other applicable information, test press box microphone and be set up before first pitch.
- Keep a detailed scorecard of the game, focusing on every pitch and play.
- Make announcements as expected of the Official Scorer (i.e. time of first pitch, individual pitching lines, Official Review times, fielding credits, winning and losing pitchers, etc.). For plays requiring judgment calls, first inform the MLB Stringer, then announce via mic to press box personnel.
- Coordinate approval of the official post-game report with the MLB Stringer prior to its transmission to the MLB statistician.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of the Official Baseball Rules, and especially Section 9 of OBR.
- Effectively utilize approved online tools designed to enhance performance and communication with essential game personnel.
- Ability to clearly communicate information via press box mic, and to effectively clarify Official Scoring Rules and scoring decisions, when necessary, to club officials and others.
- Demonstrate good judgment on applicable plays requiring decisions.
- Attention to detail in keeping a scorecard and tracking game totals for each player and team.
- Demeanor to accept constructive criticism and instruction, and patience to deal with critique of performance from various parties (i.e. clubs, players, media).
- Collaborative spirit with colleagues at MLB, other Official Scorers, team officials and others.
- At many games, the Official Scorer may be the most visible representative of MLB and needs to conduct him or herself with appropriate dignity.
- Previous Official Scoring experience in professional or amateur baseball is strongly preferred but not required
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy
The hiring range for this position is an hourly rate of $35.00. The actual offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your work experience, education, skills and any other factors Major League Baseball (MLB) considers relevant to the hiring decision.