Job descriptionGeneral Description
Essential Job Functions
Plans, delivers and evaluates instruction based upon specific standards and objectives established by Chesterfield County Public Schools. Assists students in learning knowledge and skills which will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible citizens.
- Diagnoses and identifies students with deficiencies in language arts.
- Plans and delivers instruction to students identified as having deficiencies in these areas.
- Uses the curriculum of the district, including those resources approved for remediation purposes, to plan daily instructional activities.
- Closely monitors progress of the students.
- Collaborates with the administration and staff in planning for the instructional needs of all students.
- Participates in ordering and disseminating language arts materials.
- Oversees all language arts assessments and documentation procedures as prescribed by the Virginia Department of Education and Chesterfield County Public Schools.
- Models instructional strategies and best practices for teachers.
- Coordinates tutorial services.
- Plans and implements motivational programs to promote reading.
- Coordinates informational programs on reading and writing for parents.
- Attends monthly Reading Specialist/Lead Teacher meetings and disseminates information and instructional strategies to the staff in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence.
- Performs other duties as established by School Board Policy.
Requires knowledge of the concepts, principles and methodologies of instruction. Requires general knowledge of academic curriculum for assigned classes. Demonstrated ability to develop instructional goals, to design and deliver instruction and to assess students' learning. Demonstrated ability to communicate with others effectively, both orally and in writing. Demonstrated ability in decision making, problem analysis, conflict resolution, interpersonal relationships, and planning. Eligibility for Virginia teaching license with a Reading Specialist endorsement. Requirements
Must hold or be eligible for a valid Virginia teaching license with a Reading Specialist endorsement.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test