- Experience with computer and server hardware troubleshooting/diagnosing.
- Experience communicating across and working with a team.
- Experience working with PC hardware.
- Experience with data center networks.
- Experience operating systems and hardware.
- Experience troubleshooting hardware or network related issues using Linux-based tools.
- Experience working in a physically demanding setting (e.g., industrial, automotive, and farming).
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems (cars, machines, computers, motors, etc.).
About the job
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose complicated issues with equipment and infrastructure as they arise. Apply the resources needed to resolve identified issues and escalate where and when appropriate.
- Maintain the security and integrity of data, track various forms of media to check for standard data security issues, and manage in accordance with Google security standards.
- Disassemble specific equipment that has reached its end-of-life via part replacement or maintenance in a team setting.
- Repair, fix, and perform preventative maintenance on equipment, servers, machines, or infrastructure with limited guidance.
- Contribute to the implementation of clearly defined compliance programs and initiatives in collaboration with a team to help ensure that environmental and safety incidents are properly investigated, resolved, and reported.