Job Description Summary
This position performs skilled consecutive, first-person interpretation. Work is performed and reviewed under direct supervision, using well-defined policies and procedures. Limited opportunity exists for exercising independent judgment and decision-making. An incumbent refers most problems to a supervisor and generally all non-routine problems. This description applies to the entire Interpreter classification regardless of language(s) spoken. Languages include, but are not limited to Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Farsi, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Karen, Mandarin, Nepali, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese, or any combination thereof
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES):
- Provides meaning-for-meaning interpreting.
- Follows CyraCom’s interpreter protocols as per CyraCom training, policies, and procedures.
- Follows all CyraCom policies and procedures related to information confidentiality and interpreter ethics.
- Attends all required training for interpreters, such as training by the CyraCom Quality and Development Department.
- Continuously improves vocabulary and specialized subject matter knowledge, as required for various clients, such as medical, legal, social services, etc.
- Maintains confidentiality as per CyraCom Interpreter policies.
- Uses standard office equipment such as telephones, computers, copiers and fax machines.
- Uses MS Office applications such as Outlook, Word and Edge (or other internet browser).
- All employees are required to perform the following essential functions: demonstrate predictable, reliable, and timely attendance; follow written and verbal directions and complete assigned tasks on schedule; read, write and communicate in English; communicate in person and by telephone as per CyraCom policy; learn from directions, observations, and mistakes; work independently or as part of a team; interact appropriately with others including co-workers, supervisors, and customers; and work with supervision, receiving instructions/feedback, coaching/counseling and/or corrective action.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Fluency in English and the target language.
- Skilled at communicating, both orally and in writing in English and target language.
- Basic understanding of linguistics and different cultures.
- Skilled in adjusting to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and skilled at exercising initiative within the parameter of company policies and procedures.
- Exceptional commitment to confidentiality as per CyraCom Interpreter policies.
- Skilled at keeping supervisors informed of problems or issues.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Internet Explorer (or other internet browser).
- Ability to operate competently common office equipment including, but not limited to computer, fax, copier and telephone system.