Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Construct, maintain, repair, inspect & dismantle track including right of way maintenance as required. As a Track Worker you will repair track defects, install rail ties, load and unload material e.g. ballast and ties from vehicles or work trains, clear brush and debris from the right-of-way, manually handle material at work sites such as ties, switch timbers, switch materials, tie plates and rail anchors. Individually carry and use tools such as spike mauls, claw bars, lining bars, track jacks, air and gasoline tamping guns, air spiking guns (jackhammers) & other tools normally associated with track work and other right of way maintenance.
- Use ventilation trucks to clear fumes from tunnels in accordance with FRA/Amtrak safety respiratory program.
- Walk and inspect enclosed areas such as tunnels, station tracks above ground level or occasionally on open deck bridges.
- Work within the guidelines of the System Safety Program by being alert to physical hazards which affect operations that would conflict with a safe operating environment for Amtrak or others.
- Operate company vehicles on an as-needed basis in the performance of duties.
- Perform watchman duties when assigned.
- Work as extra member of a group as required by work assignments.
- Must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks, and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment required for the job in a safe manner.
- Available to work in the geographic area indicated.
- Able to read, write, and communicate (speak, hear, and understand in English)
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet)
- Available to work a 40-hour work week subject to overtime, on-call and alternate shifts that may include weeknights, weekends, and holidays.
- Available to work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb on/off equipment
- Experience as a general laborer and construction experience
- Must be able to lift 75lbs
- Upon hire, ability to pass required training with written exams, including 2 weeks of safety training
- Able to work in conditions that include, loud noise and fumes, work on and around heavy and moving machinery, bend, walk, stand and sit for extended periods of time and use hand tools.
- Valid driver’s license is required at time of hire. Prefer Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical